Education is the major aspect of any modern society. Education gives us knowledge and awareness and also it keeps us away from superstitious beliefs. Education directs the person to move in right path at all the times in life. It also increases the ‘ethical values of the person and hence helps to identify the difference between good and bad. The knowledge which is supposed to guide students to success might be abused or misused without value education.
Before defining value education, we should know about the values. Values are principles, fundamental convictions and ideals, standards of life which act as a general guide to behaviour or as a reference point in decision-making. Values are virtues, ideals and qualities on which actions and beliefs are based. It is guiding principle of life which are conducive to all value development.
Value education is the aggregate of all the process by means of which a person develops abilities, attitudes and other forms of behaviour of the positive values in the societies in which he lives. In the words of John Dewey, “Value education means primarily to prize, to esteem to appraise, holding it dear and also the act of passing judgement upon the nature and amount of its value as compared with something else”
The very purpose and main function of education is the development of an all round and well-balanced personality of students so that children can make our nation more democratic, cohesive, socially responsible, culturally rich and intellectually competitive. But, now a days, more emphasis is unduly laid on knowledge-based and information-oriented education. As a result, the other aspect of their personality like physical, emotional, social and spiritual are not properly developed in providing for the growth of attitudes, habits, values, skills and interest among the pupils. It is here the value education comes in handy.
Importance of Value Education
• It gives the students a progressive way for their future and also helps them to know the real purpose of their life.
• Value education helps students to become responsive and practical. . This helps them to better recognise the perception of life and lead a positive life as a responsible resident
• It also helps in developing a strong relationship with family and friends.
• It changes the personality and character of the students.
• Value education is the only means which can give the young generation a right direction. Hence value education is needed.
• In modern times, people are extremely focused in the pursuit of their own success and self interest. In this process human being has been changed into robots i.e. without feelings and values. Their activities become heartless and lack values. Therefore, there is need of value education,
• Swami Vivekanand pin pointed value education as the total upliftment of society. Martin Luther King Jr said that the function of education is to teach one to think intensively and critically.
• Value education forms a positive opinion about life in the student’s mind.
• Value education is teaching and learning about the ideals that society considers important
Objectives of Value Education
The following objectives of value education are identified :
• Full development of child’s personality in its physical, mental, emotional and spiritual aspects.
• Inculcation of good manners and responsibility and cooperative citizenship. Developing respect for individual and society.
•Developing a democratic way of thinking and living, .
•Developing tolerance towards and understanding of different religious faith.
•Developing a sense of human brotherhood at social, national and international levels.
•Enabling children to make moral decision on the basis of sound moral principles.
Types of Value
Following are some of the types of values which are required in education
• Personal Values Personal values are those we learn for ourselves and which constitute a critical part of our values and are apparent in attitudes, beliefs, and actions. Personal values include honesty, responsibility, loyalty etc.
• Social Values Social values are those which puts the rights of wider groups of people first. This may include equality, justice, liberty, freedom and national pride. These are often instilled into people when people are young.
• Political Values Political values are ideological beliefs about the best way to govern a country or organisation, e. g. through welfare democracy and civic responsibility
• Economic Values Economic values are those that are centred around money and may include beliefs around ownership of property, contributing to the common good.
Religious Values Religious values are spiritual in nature and include beliefs in how we should live.
Factors Influencing the Learning of Values
Hogan believes that moral values are determined by five factors
• Socialisation It is becoming aware of society as a child and parent’s rules of conduct for being good.
• Moral Judgement It is learning to think reasonably about our own ethics and deliberately deciding on our own moral standards.
• Moral Feelings It is the internalisation of our moral beliefs to the degree that we feel shame and guilt when we do something wrong.
•Empathy The awareness of other people’s situation, feelings and needs so that one is compelled to help those in need.
• Confidence and knowledge It is knowing the steps involved in helping others and believing that one is responsible for and capable of helping.
Value Education in India
Value education in India from the ancient times has held a prime place of importance. From the Gurukul stage, the child not only learnt skills of reading and archery but more the philosophy of life in relation with its impermanence. Hence, education in India was born of this vision to achieve one’s experience in the absolute as a spark of the divine and in this process practice of one’s duty accompanies the acquisition of knowledge.
In the modern school system, value education was termed as moral education or moral science. Britishers were absolutely neutral in their policy towards religion and value education Committee on emotional integration pointed out that the science students should have at least some background of humanities. It also opined that there should be a compulsory paper on India’s cultural heritage.
Val based education has become an integral part of the New Education Policy, 2020. NCERT has brought a book ‘Education for Values in Schools’. Universal educational values mentioned in NEP are truth, peace, non-violence, love, righteous conduct.
Value-less Education and its Effects
Intelligence with good character is the goal of true education. All scams and episodes of corruption, crime and violence in recent times in our country and the world are evidence to failure of human being, not because of lack of education, but because of value-less education. Value education never allows one to perform under pressure or greed.
Education without values tends to make man a clever devil. For example, Osama bin Laden, a dreaded terrorist was a civil engineer, whose higher education could not help him to follow the virtuous path. It is important to have an intelligent mind, but it is far more important to have a good heart. Nelson Mandela rightly said that a good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. Gandhiji took the path of non-violence and taught us to follow value-based right path in our lives.
On analysing the activities of a soldier and a terrorist, we find that a soldier gives life for his people and his country, whereas a terrorist takes the lives of innocent people either in the name of religion or in the name of politics. Now-a-days many educated youths take the path of terrorism. This highlights that how value-less education can be used to propagate the ideas which are not only irrational but against peace, harmony and progress of human society. Values help us to differentiate between good and bad acts, while education only teaches us about the various acts.
Value Education and Lifeskills
Our world today is filled with science, informatics advancements, PC dominances, and mechanical. With the explosion of information, people are required to be part of the process of managing the materials. Therefore, a larger gap is forming between populace between their daily lives and fulfillment.
It is a result of value , less work the world and value breakdown between them. Education alone won’t enable them live in peace, harmony, and amicable however, the circumstances. So, the value of education is the most important source of each of the people in our lives and make them more efficient and better people.
It is a universal recognition of the the most important function of education is the development of the inside and outside and even the character of the pupil.
Objective Of Value Education
Values are the fundamental values of lifethat contribute to physical, social and emotional wellbeing. The teaching of attractive values is considered to be essential through education, and that’s why educators, schools and the general public, by and large, should be prepared.
The main goal in value education is the integrate the basic values that are based on the destination which could be personal or national values, as well as social such as for instance, in India, Maharashtra State has been given the associated values to be taught to the students through education.
Value Education in School
Value education, in another sense could be described in terms of character development or a good education. It is a form of education in which students absorb value from their teachers and apply these in the future to lead a more fulfilling life and the world of humanity without religion and what is most important are your personal qualities.
Value education starts from the home and continues throughout the course of one’s life. However, values education in schools can have an impact on man’s life , so it should be taught in every school in order to enhance children for their best future.
- Collaboration when posing questions to teachers.
- Shows obligation in doing schoolwork.
- Ability to work more autonomously.
- Implement their learning by applying it to their daily lives.
- In class, you’re mindful.
- In turn, it forces understudies to make their own preferences.
- Develops a clear brain inside them.
Guideline for Value Education
The subject that helps us to know what is essential’ to human happiness is referred to as value education. To meet the needs for any seminar in value education, these rules that govern the substance of the course are crucial:
- universal:It ought to be suitable for all individuals, regardless of the cast, a statement of faith, nationality as well as religions, and the like. For all occasions and places.
- Argument:It needs to speak to human thought. It should be compatible with the human mind and not based on authoritative opinions or visual impaired beliefs.
- Unquestionably natural and undisputed:It must be normally acceptable to the person who is undergoing the course. when we live by these values, it triggers our happiness. It must be observably evident and not based on beliefs, creeds, or preposterous notions.
- All Enveloping: Value education is designed to change our perception and how we live. Therefore, it must include all measures (thought, conduct and work) as well as acknowledgement) and the levels (singular family, society and nature)) of our human existence and the calling.
- Enabling amicability: Education is a valuable thing, finally, is geared on improving harmony within the individual, among people and with the natural world.
Components of Value Education
Value education could be described in terms of character development or a good education. Here are a few essential elements in value-based education
1. Character Education:
Moral or character education is a crucial aspect in value-based education. It assists individuals to develop into a well-mannered and behaved. They also become socially acceptable individuals.
2. Health Education:
This kind of training is designed to help individuals acquire knowledge and develop skills that will help ensure one’s own or another’s health.
3. Environmental Education:
The knowledge gained from this education allows people to investigate environmental issues and to adopt necessary steps to resolve the problems. It assists them in making responsible choices to ensure the quality of the environment.
Human Rights and Value Education
Human Rights Education (HRE) is a process that aims to build the KNOWLEDGE of SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, and values of human rights with the goal of establishing a universal cultural understanding of human rights. Therefore, students need to be aware of human rights concerns, be concerned about concerns, as well as prepared to defend human rights.
Human rights education can take students from a lack of understanding of human rights concepts to looking at their interactions through a human rights angle of view. They will then incorporate the concepts they learn in their values, and processes.
Why is value education so important?
Ans. Value education helps students become more responsible and responsible. It helps them understand the meaning of life in a more positive way and lead a fulfilling existence as a conscientious and ethical citizen. It also assists students to build a strong bond with their families and their friends.
Why is education of value important in schools?
Ans. The school is the place where children spend the majority of their time and are exposed to a wide range of positive life lessons. The values of learning will shape their futures and give meaning to their lives
What are the primary objectives for value-based education?
Ans. The primary goal in value education is incorporate the fundamental values based on the goal, these could be personal, social or national values, for instance for example, in India, Maharashtra State has established the following values to be taught to students through education.
The real education should come with moral values and character. Only the education with values can lead a man to path of virtue. Thus, our education system should adopt value based education at all levels. The value-oriented education programme should not be led only during the school level, but should be carried on further up to the level of higher education too, as it is from there that the nation’s bureaucrats, ariny personnel and future leaders emerge. Only the value-laden education can bring developments in form of eradication of poverty, generation of employment, removal of social ills, empowerment of women, problem-solving skills, decision-making power and an inclusive society.
Thank you very much for reading this article“What is Value Education, Meaning, Types of Value Education, Importance of Value Education, factors“