- Russian forces suffered heavy losses in Ukraine and failed to capture Kyiv and Kharkiv.
- Russian lawmakers moved on Friday to expand military eligibility to include senior citizens.
- With a change in the parliament, the 18-40 age requirement will be removed for those who will be recruited for the first time.
Russian lawmakers took steps on Friday to broaden their military recruitment to include senior citizens as their forces took heavy hits and were pushed out of key areas in Ukraine.
A change was made in the Russian parliament to remove the requirement for the first conscription to be between the ages of 18-40. New York Times reported.
The measure would allow senior Russian citizens to join the war effort. The lower house of Parliament said in a statement that “highly professional experts are needed” to operate military equipment, The Times reported. The statement also stated that healthcare workers and engineers are among the specialists needed.
The deputies did not indicate the need for additional ground troops in Ukraine. But the UK’s Ministry of Defense said last week that Russia likely suffered a loss. one-third of ground combat power Since it was occupied in February.
Russian forces faced a series of setbacks in the war, including the failure to capture the capital, Kiev, followed by Ukraine’s second largest city, Kharkiv. After being pushed out of the latter last week, some Russian forces were redeployed to the eastern Donbas area.
NATO secretary general Jens Stoltenberg said earlier this week: Russian efforts in the Donbas had also stalled.“Russia is not achieving its strategic goals,” he added.