Jada Pinkett Smith’s recently reported prank got a lot of backlash online. During the Red Table Chat, Niki Ball revealed that her 12-year-old daughter, who has alopecia, committed suicide after being teased for her hair loss.
Niki Ball has been invited to share her painful experience in a new Wednesday issue of the Facebook Watch series Red Table Talk. She, 50, talked about her personal difficulties with alopecia.
Mom remembers her late daughter who was bullied for hair loss
Rio Ball began losing ‘about a handful’ of hair early in the pandemic and was later diagnosed with alopecia areata, an autoimmune disease that causes patchy and patchy hair loss.
‘Despite the hair loss, she was very resilient. In a clip from that episode, Ball explains, “He still shook him while he was falling, and he just had these big bald patches.” ‘I tried the creams. They forced him to flee. I put the footage to the test. He took five of them in one day, but none of them were particularly useful.’
Ball revealed how Rio decided to shave her head during an emotional meeting with Pinkett Smith, accompanied by her mother, Adrienne Banfield-Norris, and her daughter, Willow Smith.
“As school approached, we bought her the extremely gorgeous wig and she adored it and she shone,” Anne said. ‘However, in a few weeks at school, I was like, ‘I don’t want to wear it anymore. It’s pointless.”
Rio’s classmates call him ‘naked mole rat’, ‘bug-eyed alien’ and ‘Mr. and Mrs. Clean,’ according to Ball. Rio said he had a “very bad day” at school weeks before his death.
Rio committed suicide on March 14, 2022.
“Rio!” she said she shouted. When he can’t see Rio. “I couldn’t hear anything, so I shouted once more,” he explained.
“I went up to her room and she had hung herself from her loft bed in a pair of trousers,” said the mother, sobbing.
Crying alongside Ball, Pinkett Smith said Rio is an example of why people “need an awareness surrounding the horrors of this disease.”
Internet Trolls Red Table Talks & Jada Pinkett Smith’s Alopecia
Jada’s battle with alopecia led to a number of headlines, starting with Chris Rock taunting her at the 2022 Academy Awards. While some people continued to defend him, the internet was quick to troll him and summon him once again. One Twitter user stated that he “scoured the world from top to bottom until I found someone to tell a story that would make the Smiths seem right about everything.” Another person went too far and made a comparison between herself and Amber Heard, adding, “The problem with Jada is that 90% of the population will get this bullshit right.” The remaining 10% are people who have agreed to support Amber Turd.”
He searched the world from top to bottom until he found someone to tell a story that would make the Smiths look like they were right about everything.
— StoptheBS (@DivaGissel) May 31, 2022
One poster advised Jada to “grow up”, “Jada should stop crying like a baby and grow up. Almost everyone has bigger problems in their life than hers.”
The problem with Jada is that 90% of the population will see this bullshit directly. The other 10% are those who admit to being with Amber Turd.
– Sal (@salhypes) May 31, 2022
However, not everyone was critical of Jada because some people were impressed by the narrative because it was the bullying that ultimately cost her her life, and several fans rushed to her aid. “Thank you dear Jada for another beautiful, caring episode,” wrote one Facebook user.
“Beautiful, brave mother!” another user commented, well wishes to the grieving mother.
And Jada is crying all the way to the bank
– Wayne Bennett (@WayneWbennett11) June 1, 2022