There are many amazing things in this world that we often take for granted. Here are ten of the most amazing facts about our planet and its inhabitants.
Top 1-15 amazing facts of the world
1. The human brain has the ability to process images and information at a rate of around 1,000,000 bits per second.
2. A single snowflake is unique and no two are ever alike.
3. The world’s largest desert is the Sahara, which covers 3.5 million square miles.
4. Approximately 71% of the Earth’s surface is covered by water.
5. There are more than 1,000 different species of snake in the world, at least 100 of which can kill a human with just one bite.
6. British scientists have recently grown a miniature working liver from stem cells, at the cost of around $25,000 per cell – 200 times more expensive than gold – and it possesses the ability to break down drugs in the same way as a living human liver would do.
7. The average person walks the equivalent of three times around the world in a lifetime, while spending an estimated 1 year waiting at red lights.
8. A full head of human hair is strong enough to support 12 tons without breaking.
9. Dolphins sleep with one eye open! They only close their right eye, so they can stay half-awake and breathe at the same time.
10. It takes 75 muscles to smile but 6 muscles to frown (mainly due to lack of use). Source: Fun facts about smiley faces
11 .The average lead pencil can draw a line that measures 35 miles long or write approximately 50,000 English words.
12 .The highest speed ever achieved on a bicycle was 165.8 km/h (103.6 mph) by Fred Rompelberg (Netherlands) in 1995 at the Bonneville Salt Flats Utah, USA on an average open wheel racing cycle. However this record has been broken more recently by Sam Whittingham of Canada who reached 203mph – 354km/h on his turbocharged rocket-powered bicycle Red Bull F1 Rocket!.
13 .Owls are one of the only birds that can see the color blue.
14 .The word “apple” appears in the Bible (from the Latin word “Malus”) seven times, as a symbol of sin or evil.
Top 15-30 amazing facts of the world
15 .The founder of Alcoholics Anonymous, Bill Wilson, was sober for just six days before getting drunk and crashing his car. He then had a spiritual awakening that led to his founding of Alcoholics Anonymous.
16 .In Japan, people eat around 25 billion cucumbers every year – that’s about 83 cucumbers per person!
17 .A hummingbird’s heart beats up to 1,200 times per minute – that’s 20 times faster than an Olympic sprinter…
18 .The average person is about a quarter of an inch taller at night.
19 .Even though Pluto has been demoted to dwarf planet status, it is still larger than all the other known Kuiper Belt objects combined with its total surface area equaling the size of Russia and Canada.
20. The world record for holding one’s breath underwater is 22 minutes! (held by Peter Colat)
21 .Over 62% of Americans claim they never take a full hour for lunch, eating in just 10 minutes or less on average.
22 .The Coca-Cola company owns more than 500 brands of products, including juice, tea, coffee, water, sports drinks and dairy products.
23 .There are more telephones in the United States than there are people.
24 .In ancient Greece (circa 400 BC), the “law of octaves” was discovered. This states that musical notes sound pleasing when played in intervals of two or multiples of two.
25 .It is physically impossible for a human being to lick their own elbow.
26 .One third of the world’s population has never made a telephone call.
27 .In the United States, a quarter of all food is wasted, amounting to around $162 billion worth of losses each year.
28 .The average person walks about 900 miles a year – that’s the equivalent of walking from London to Moscow!
29 .There are more than 1,000 different species of spiders in the world.
30. Bananas are curved because they grow towards the sun.
Top 30-50 amazing facts of the world
31 .The word “laser” is an acronym for “Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation”.
32 .Fidel Castro once said: “I am not a communist!”
33 .The smallest known species of fish is Pandaka Pygmea, which is only about 0.3 mm long and lives in the fresh waters of Thailand.
34 .A jellyfish is 95% water – a human being is about 70%.
35 .More than 12 million people live on less than one dollar a day.
36 .In just seven minutes, a hurricane releases as much energy as all the world’s nuclear weapons combined.
37 .Scientists classified Pluto as a planet until 2006 when it was re-classified as “dwarf planet” because of its small size.
38 .The world’s first artificial heart was successfully implanted in a human being in 1982 by Dr. Barney Clark.
39 .In the United States, around 7,000 new cases of oral cancer are diagnosed each year.
40 .The world’s largest diamond ever found was the Cullinan Diamond, which weighed in at 3,106 carats. It was discovered in 1905 in South Africa.
41 .Roses are red because of the presence of anthocyanins – natural plant pigments that absorb blue and violet light and reflect red light.
42 .The average person has approximately 1,460 dreams a year.
43 .It would take around 2,500 years to watch all the videos on YouTube.
44 .According to the Guinness World Records, the world’s oldest McDonald’s is located in Downey, California and it’s been open since 1953.
45 .The word “alphabet” comes from the first two letters of the Greek alphabet – alpha and beta.
46 .A single honey bee will visit more than 50 flowers during one trip out foraging for nectar.
47 .The first chewing gum was invented in New York by an inventor named Thomas Adams. He had created a “chewing gum” substance made of pure chicle, a natural rubber taken from trees native to Central America.
48 .Coca-Cola didn’t actually have cocaine in it – the name came about because it has extracts of the coca plant and kola nut in it.
49 .Your body is producing new skin all the time – every 27 days, you have a completely new epidermis (the outer layer of skin).
50 .The world’s largest particle accelerator is the Large Hadron Collider, located near Geneva, Switzerland. It’s 27 kilometers in circumference and weighs around 38,000 tons!
There are many more amazing facts about our planet and its inhabitants than those listed here, but these ten provide a good starting point for further exploration. So the next time you find yourself taking the world for granted, remember these fifty amazing facts and be awestruck once again by the incredible diversity and wonder of life on Earth!